Music

Monday 23 February 2015

Okay, you've had your Oscar fun (#Jupita watch 2015) now it's time for the music behind the movies......


Score Me: TV and Movie Classics.









A seventeen year old me was super excited to visit Jamaica again with my family most particularly because I had just received the Legends of the Fall, Interview With The Vampire, Circle of Friends and Far and Away soundtracks and could listen to them on the plane and for the WHOLE trip. I was in movie score heaven.....HEAVEN!!! James Horner had already impressed me with the Thunderheart soundtrack so I immediately recognized his work in Legends of the Fall.

 Elliot Goldenthal (Interview With The Vampire) would go on to make incredible music for the Batman series (featuring Val Kilmer) and Heat (also featuring Val Kilmer) and win an Academy Award for his work in Frida (the biopic on Frida Kahlo starring Selma Hayek) and we all know the genius that is John Williams. If not, here's the short version: Jaws, Star Wars, Superman, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones etc etc etc. The dude is BOSS. Much like the other composers on this list. Shout outs to WG Snuffy Walden (My So-Called Life), Alan Silvestri (Polar Express)  and my fave Graeme Revell (The Crow) . There's soooo many amazing scores out there guys, but I tried to include the my very favourites. Hopefully it will spark some exciting memories for you and you'll be inspired to check out some more scores and look out for composers in the future! Here is your TV and Movie Classics Playlist do enjoy, or don't (I won't tell you what to do!)

P,S (a loooong post-script)  I cannot begin to express how much the movie and soundtrack to Legends of the Fall meant to me. With the direction and producing of Ed Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz whom I remembered fondly from My So-Called Life and the exciting and (at the time) up and coming actor Brad Pitt, who was about to deliver a one-two punch with Interview With The Vampire. Joined with the veritable Anthony Hopkins, the phenomenal Aidan Quinn, everyone's favourite alien-loving child actor all grown up Henry Thomas, the incredible Canadian actress Tantoo Cardinal and the honourable Gordon Tootoosis and the introduction to Julia Ormond who was about to perform in a trifecta of movies where she was at the apex of a triangle. This movie was very special and the soundtrack only made it more so, I was obsessed, I drew it in my notebook, I played it on the piano and I read the novella (which is quite different BTW). What an extraordinary gift to listen to this soundtrack many years later and feel perfectly vindicated in making a fuss. Have a great week peeps, keep the faith that winter will end sooner rather than later and keep an eye on #Jupita!

No comments:

Post a Comment