Music

Sunday 8 February 2015

Jazz and Blues and Allllllll the News.....



Oh Hello Friends, Enemies, Kittens etc,


You guessed it, today's blog which is a mite late (I apologize) is all about  JAZZ hands JAZZ (and Blues and Doo-wop-y kinda stuff). I've kicked it off with the very talented (and Canadian) Oscar Peterson (RIP good sir), and continued onward down the path towards jazz and rhythm and blues enlightenment with The First Lady of Song, some Sarah Vaughan and the incredible Sammy Davis Jr, I moseyed on into Otis Redding territory but not before hitting up Harry Connick Jr (the first concert I ever attended). Oh guys it's so lovely, don't listen to Noel Gallagher about 'shite jazz' he doesn't know it but he's on about, which (to be honest) is 'Smooth Jazz' and 'College Smooth Jazz' which is not the same blessed thing.

It's February (I know, I know) and as such all the Valentines are getting their chocolate on but more importantly it's Black History Month and when could be a better time to learn some American History through the magnificent world of Jazz? (that was rhetorical) So please do dive in and enjoy the splendor and magnificence and if you feel the inexplicable urge to check out a local jazz show in your area this week by all means darlings, GIVE IN!

Anyway, I wish you (and myself) a mighty fine grind this week to accomplish all the things you need to get 'er done and do consider playing this lovely, melodic dreamscapey Jazz and RnB playlist if you get a little too stressed out. I'll also leave you with this bluesy version of Summertime that my friend Jorge Gavidia and I recorded and a reminder that Summer will return someday (sooner than you think).  Until then? Hang onto that pigfoot and bottle o' beer, scooobley-doobl-ey-doobl-ey out!

*always hear when you cry sigh dagnammit! Probably a Freudian slip*

*I would be remiss not to include a song from the movie that started my Vaudevillian obsession here's a cover for Burlesque fans <3

No comments:

Post a Comment